One of the best forms of exercise is walking. But do you know what’s even better? Walking with a friend or in a group. Studies show that walking leads to a healthier, happier life overall, but it’s also true that stepping out with one or more companions is a great way to build community, strengthen friendships, and relieve stress. It’s good for the heart, and good for the soul.
Here are our top five reasons why you — and your pals — should lace up your walking shoes and take a stroll.
1. It puts the kibosh on stress and anxiety. You’ve heard the expression “walk it off”? When day-to-day tasks and responsibilities become overwhelming, grab a friend and take a walk. It’s a great way to let go of your cares and woes.
2. It will get your happy on. A study out of California State University Long Beach found that the more steps people took during the day, the better their moods were. The endorphin boost that comes from getting a little exercise triggers a feel-good response in the brain.
3. It clears a path to creativity. A walk with friends is an ideal forum for sharing ideas, problem-solving, and prioritizing short- and even longterm goals. In fact, a number of forward thinking executives — including Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, and the late Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple computers — have been strong advocates for walk-and-talk meetings.
4. It reconnects you with nature. There’s something about being outside, the sun on your face, a good friend by your side. Walking outdoors is a great way to take it all in, to find perspective in the beauty that surrounds us. Whether you stroll through a park, down residential streets, or though the heart of your city on your lunch hour, being out in the world is a grounding force.
5. It strengthens the ties that bind. Whether your walking companions sit in adjoining cubicles or live in the same neighborhood, sharing this one simple activity will connect you in any number of beneficial ways. In addition to being each other’s motivation to move — which gets your heart and lungs pumping — the time spent together in comfortable companionship is, without a doubt, a priceless gift.
So rally your friends and sign up today for The Powerwalk for Dress for Success in a city near you! Enjoy all the perks of walking while also giving back to your community. Celebrate the special women in your life and have fun while you do it. We can’t wait to see you there!